Re: Monkey Music

Hmmmm....

If I may be as bold to respond with an oberservation and a few opinions.

Too much analysis and inspection and too little submission to what the
music
youre listening to actually needs to be "heard" effectively.

Ive come to find Influences, patterns or lessons are all meant to be
absorbed
and forgetten or moreover used as vehicles as opposed to destinations.

Plus there are a bizillion ways for anyone to pick from to get from point
A to
Point B musically speaking of course. Though music and life and its living
have
many and often interesting parallels and correlations.

If you are focused on which way is "better" than another or put emphasis
on the
processes you and or others employ, you'd spend a lifetime of analysis not
ever
really hearing much music(s) or allowing any music to come into you as a
musician.

We all have influences and need to lose them or moreover be able to work
with
them like a modular piece of hardware without ever letting them become
deriviative as opposed to evocative.

I dont think we have to have our predilections or "learning" overtake and
rule
our musical vision or reception of music(s). They become obstacles that
way.

Also that stuff/junk/process/technique/learning/analysis can be either for
clairty or for confusion and easily slip into one aspect or another in a
heartbeat where they become indistinguishable.

Also, "like and dislike" are mostly meaningless as well as process and/or
technique in the overall picture.

IMHO its the knowing/awareness of the "when and where" to let go of all of
that
junk that is crucial to anyone who is involved in music be it the spice
girls,
prince, miss piggy or wagner. And though clearly its a "process" I'm
refering to
its still something deeper and more than just what ya'd immediately
imagine that
process being in and of itself. Rather, it evolves and reveals something
beyond
itself.

I think the draw of any music and the particular salient or underlying
"selling"
point in improv is you get it all from musician(s) where its gonna be
uncensored, per se and raw and a bit of a risk taking endeavor.

Its also a rare thing to have music come out of anything, composer, player
or
orchestra that is 100% "ON"  right off the bat.  And there are always
highs,
lows or points where you'd rather go see how the blonde in the front row
looks
up close.

The point where ya break from yourself (s) makes something more than just a
collection of notes, words, patterns or thoughts or individuals.

I also believe (IMHO again) it is very possible for one person to have a
conversational (in any musical medium/format be it improv or compositional
based
performance) relatioship with music that  actually goes somewhere. Though
its
very difficult and hard to get to a point thats gets the flow rollin on a
higher
level. some people can and do carry things thru  while others are just hit
or
miss.

In responding to this particular posts tone, it sounds like listening
clearly
gets in the way of hearing while being wrapped up too heavilly in the
processes/analyses to see what can actually happen and really does happen
when
your looking for everything else but music's magic.

The post seems says more about a particular individual than it does music
any
music I'm sure that person has certainly heard either clearly and or
creates/created.

Just an opinion/observation - Not a flame :)