Monkeys, Improv, Zen

>im listening to this as i write and all i can think is "how long would it
>take 5 monkeys to re-create this music?" i dont want to think this, mind
>you,
but
>that is what keeps going through my head.

I perform fairly regularly at the Knit (aka sweatshop of the
avante-garde) & have often wondered the same thing - at others gigs as
well my own. Usually this comes about because I'm trying to analyse the
music in terms of the tradition within which I was taught, namely
Contemporary Classical Western harmony/rhythm &  "Standards" oriented
jazz theory.

It's an interesting phenomena - since "anything goes" improv (not the
case always, I know,  as there are often structures superimposed) is
really a new form of music & would seem to require a new theory. I guess
it comes down to "Where am I listening from?" If I'm coming from the "no
parallel 5ths","ii-V-I" "sonata form" view point I'm sure to drive myself
crazy. Of course, I don't listen to rock bands from the perspective of
North Indian Classical music - although it would be an interesting (but
probably disappointing) experiment!

I've come to the personal conclusion that "free music" requires "free
listening", which for me comes directly from my experience with
meditation. I consider it extremely valuable whether playing or listening.

There's lots of Zen epithets that could be used to describe it: "Just
Sit", "just don't know" or my personal favorite "shut the f*ck up &
listen!!"
Seriously though - being able to just hear sounds as they occur and
trusting the sounds that you choose as a player has changed they way that
I relate to much of the "free" music that I hear & perform.

well that's enough of that...

peace,

john