Re: Sampling debate

>Here's an example: Let's say I start messing around with someone else's
>riff or tune on guitar.  As I play it, I start altering the notes, the
>accents, what have you.  After a few minutes, I've come up with a
>different (maybe a wildly different) riff.  Now, am I obligated to seek
>out the composer of the work I started playing and ask their permission
>to release the end result that I came up with, even if it's
>unrecognizable from the original source of inspiration?

No of course not. But now you are not using the audio(= hard work) of the
original.
That`s the only thing copyright can protect: the final product. IF your
riff sounds nothing like the original then what`s the problem? That what
the law says (in effect). But if you sample the riff you`d obviously SOUND
like the origanal and his work will be yours. And that`s wrong. I feel. In
my opinion. Gimme a hug.

Yors , Thomas