Re: collage (was:FNV-RIAA IS CRACKING DOWN)

In a message dated 8/27/98 4:03:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
robm@nytimes.com
writes:

<< But the chems are
 well within the law in what they do as they haven't used any of the
_audio_
 from the original  track. >>

Just a couple more pieces of food to chew on... sample and rights
related....

- in one of the first articles I ever read, in Musician magazine, that
addressed this subject, one hip-hop producer talked about having a hard
time
securing the rights to a part of the guitar line to "Dear Mr. Fantasy"...
so
he just got a studio session player and had him come up with a guitar line
that resembled but was not "D.M.F." and used that instead....

- Eddie Van Halen, when being shit on about "Right Now" being used in a
beer
commercial or some such enterprise, responded that if he didn't liscense
the
song, the beer company would just hire session musicians to record a sound-
alike version, pay the (pittance) royalty associated with covering the
song,
and VH would get nothing, compared to what they got for the use of the
song.
(Come to think of it, portions of that song appeared on the soundtrack to
"The
Wild Life", years before, under a different title... maybe we should get
him
for "sampling" from himself....)

- there's a (possibly local) Ford ad that uses a carbon copy of the 311
song
"Beautiful Disaster"... only a slightly different guitar line (descending
here
instead of ascending there...little changes). I wonder what the price
difference was between coming up with a soundalike versus liscensing the
song?

No great moral here, just some more tidbits to digest (or maybe just more
mud
for the waters.....)

- Bill
Crossedout@aol.com