RE: Fwd: FNV-RIAA IS CRACKING DOWN

I have to agree with ol' Motley, who said:

>Sampling is fine, just be honest about it. Give
> credit to your
> sources and pay for using the original artist's work.

Bravo!  One of my recurring day-mares involves seeing a commercial and
realising that one of my Loops Of The Week is the background for it.  At
least I copyright my work!  And soon I'll have the first set of 366
registered with BMI, though if you thought it was a pain to process the
paperwork for a collection of 9 or 10 songs... well!  I have to submit
cassettes containing cuts, 30 seconds long each for every loop, for them
all
to be protected, if only in theory.  Let's face it, I can't afford to
police
the airwaves myself, so firms like BMI and ASCAP can do it for me, if to an
extent.

Frankly, the whole bit with all-sampling pieces, is not much more to me
than
the musical equivalent of decoupage that I remember some kids used to do in
Jr. High School, on their lunchboxes.  One out of Six that did such
business
was actually interested in the Art of it - the rest used others' images
because they couldn't produce them on their own.  It would seem to be the
same line I saw between people that can Really Draw, and those who learn to
Draw.  There IS a difference.

There is no kind of defense as far as I'm concerned for stealing other
peoples' work in this way, either.  Period.

Stephen GoodmanÊ -Ê It's... The Loop Of The Week!
EarthLight StudiosÊ -Ê http://www.earthlight.net/Studios