MIDI continuous controller ideas

MIDI controllers aren't looping devices, but they certainly are useful when
manipulating loops, so this is at least marginally on topic.

If someone knows of a device like this, please let me know. If not, I'll
add the following to the pool of ideas for future hardware development.

I want one continuous pedal and a set of footswitches that change what
controller it represents.

Additionally, I'd like something that allowed me when switching to a
different controller to specify that I'm endeavoring to raise or lower the
value as an initial operation. That way, the foot controller would only
"sieze" the value when it passed through the threshold of where the value
was currently. The alpha wheel approach works great for hand control, but
seems like it would be awkward for foot control even as a roller. The
simplest interface I can think of to make this work would be for the device
to watch which way you first moved the pedal after switching to the
controller and use that as the goal direction.

Mark