Re: Roland sp-808

I'd considered getting one, but...  Do a side by side with a sampler that
doesn't have data compression.

It depends totally on what you want to do with it.  I thought it was more
fun than the Ensoniq ASR-X (whose prices will soon drop) and Akai MPC2000,
but its pads are not velocity sensitive and it uses Zip disks (expensive.
The SCSI option allows b-up only to Zip, and possible Jaz) and cannot
import other sample formats (Akai, WAV, etc.), though you can sample
directly off CD's/your computer with the SCSI option (inlucdes digital
i/o).

I felt if you could run it off a battery pack, it would make a cool
scratch pad.  Try www.SoundonSound.com, in Japan, if you're sure you want
it, or buy locally if you're thinking of returning it.