RE: New subject

You might want to check on the S/N ratio (or perhaps also shielding) of the
major sound cards... Some of the folks on this list have suggested that the
AWE32 is more noisy than others.  I don't personally buy into the Old
Studio
kind of thinking that goes into a $400 sound card setup, as I've seen how
badly implemented (and as useable) some migrations from Old Studio Hardware
(as in the case of the unfortunate RADAR) have gone.

I have yet to make the jump myself -- I've been using a SB32, a notch below
the AWE in terms of tech specs, but fairly quiet and not the generator of
complaints about hiss that one would expect, given some comments here.

I would advise ONE BIG ITEM though, that I've found to be a major problem
in
integrating all this fun stuff: make sure your monitor's not generating all
your noise.  You can tell this by the sound your speakers make when you
move
them (or sometimes their unshielded cables)closer to the monitor, or (if
the
monitor is particularly noisy EMF-wise) the CPU.  Since much of what we do
as either musicians or computing hu-mans has to do with seeing AND hearing
from the same direction during composition, this can be a problem in terms
of placement of equipment, and so forth.  There's not really an equivalent
to a direct box for this yet, either..

Stephen GoodmanÊ *Ê It's The Loop Of The Week (Sheri Lewis, 1933-1998)!
EarthLight StudiosÊ *Ê http://www.earthlight.net/Studios