RE: Boomerang/EDP different layout

At 12:47 PM -0700 8/10/98, Liebig, Steuart A. wrote:

>       My question (not having seen an EDP for some time) is how much of
>an
>EDP's rack size is taken up by the ears? In other words, how much of that
>19
>inches is "dead space"? Also, assuming that Gibson/Oberheim would want to
>deal with more R&D (and why would they?), how hard would it be to
>re-engineer the EDP to have the LEDs on the top along with some manual
>controls?

You could probably do this yourself to an echoplex pretty easily.

without the front panel, the rest of the unit is 17 3/8" wide x 6" deep.
The width is pretty typical for racks, I think.

The Echoplex's front panel, controls, and PCB are one assembly, connected
to the main board by some flat cables. The cables have a reasonable amount
of slack in them, so you could take the 6 screws out of the front and
rotate the whole thing to sit on the top, making it effectively a table
top. You'd need to remove the top piece of sheet metal or cut it to leave a
space for the front panel to sit. not a bad idea really, I might do that to
one of mine.....

kim