Nice calm, flameless art theory from Mark

Hello all!

OK, I'd like to take a little time here to point out that in my first
post about "art theory" I described "...the generally accepted
contemporary theory of art..."  In case anyone hasn't noticed, I didn't
formulate this theory.  I was merely stating what it was.  We can all
argue until we're blue in the face, but this will not change the current
paradigm... at least not in the short run.  I only began lashing out
when I was attacked personally, as if I was the person keeping artists
in "boxes" by formulating horrible theories and making terrible
definitions for words.

Do I subscribe to the current (western) theories of art that I spoke
of?  You bet.

Why?

It all has to do with VALUE.  I'm one of those people that make my
living by doing art.  Because I do I find it extremely crucial to define
what it is that I do because NO ONE WILL PAY FOR SOMETHING UNLESS THEY
KNOW WHAT IT IS.  Did I cause this cultural phenomena?  No.  Is it
real?  Yes.  As someone who works for a non-profit organization that
receives money from the NEA, I spend a large amount of time defending
artists (that I usually have nothing to do with) such as Robert
Maplethorpe or Mark Rothko.  "A red square isn't art!  Anyone could do
that! " or "My tax money shouldn't go for that homo crap!"  Oh boy, if
ignorance is bliss you'd expect these people to be a lot happier!  You
wouldn't believe how many times I hear stuff like that.  About as many
times as I have to defend my own minimalist works.  "That's not
music...it's just a drone."  I'm sure we've all heard things like that.

The problem with the current "art had no purpose other than to be
itself" theory,is not the theory itself, but the fact that art in our
culture has been devalued.  (unless you happen to be a superstar)  I
haven't been following the last cd price thread, but haven't we been
talking about this?  Most club owners seem to feel that playing music is
the only reward needed for being a musician, but find absolutely no
problem paying to have the floor cleaned.  Subsequently, most of us have
to struggle at some other type of work to fund the often exorbitant cost
of musical instruments and the wacky gear that we all love so much.
(I'm saving for a Digitech Space Station as we speak!) This is why I
feel that people have reacted so strongly against the theory I've been
talking about.  Artists want to be regarded as the french fry maker is
regarded.  By that I mean PAID.  Yes, Lance, I listen to Gamalan music
all the time (Cornell University has quite the Gamalan set up) and It's
very nice that the Balinese people don't have a word for art.  I can't
say I know anything about their culture, but I'd bet that those who
master the art of Gamalan are regarded very highly in their society, and
compensated for it in some way.  I bet they don't even have to pay to
use the PA when they play out. ;-)  (sorry, I just can't help being a
sarcastic bastard)  I'd love for our culture to be like that, but guess
what?  It's not.  We're capitalists and unless we can find ways to fund
what we do, we're probably not doing it.  I agree that things are pretty
sad at the moment.  I hope that the free exchange of thoughts via the
internet will free us from the shackles of BIG BUSINESS IN THE ART WORLD
by allowing us to distribute our stuff by ourselves.  Maybe then the
myth of the superstar will die and we can be regarded as people who do a
specific job in our society, a highly valued job.

Ok, I'm rambling, so I'll shut up.

Love,

Mark

(I'm currently defining "love" as a warm squishy feeling towards
humanity)