Re: AW: Computers **(MSP)**

At 2:10 AM -0700 7/19/98, Michael Peters wrote:
>hi James,
>
>> Miller Puckett, the original author of MAX, is working on a similar
>program
>> called "Pure Data" that runs in Windows, IRIX, and Linux.  It's still
>in an
>> early alpha form, but there is already a healthy selection of MIDI and
>audio
>> processing functions, and there's an add-on set of functions that allow
>you
>> to integrate realtime OpenGL-accelerated graphics.  If you're curious, I
>> recommend playing with the alpha version to see what the future holds.
>Oh,
>> and it's free  :)
>
>This is the best news I've heard for a long time. For Windows! I need a
>Windows
>based PC for work reasons and can't afford an additional Mac, but I'd
>*love* to
>play with Max. Wonderful!!! You really made my day posting this.

one thing about Max is that it has been around for quite a long time now,
so there is a wealth of objects out there to build patches upon. There is
also a good size community of active users to go to for advice. There's a
mailing list that's been around for many years, anybody know the address of
that? some people might be interested in checking it out further. Max is
really a brilliant thing....

kim