Re: EDP question

this is sort of old, sorry. I need a secretary....

comment below:

At 7:55 AM -0700 7/2/98, Dennis W. Leas wrote:
>Hello, All!
>
>I'm seeing some unexplained behaviour from my two EDPs and I'm hoping
>that someone can explain it (Kim?).  I'll try to describe the set-up as
>clearly as possible.
>
>EDP 1 (Master)         audio in   <------- (from board)
>  sync: OUT            audio out  -------> (to board)
>  8ths/beat: 1         MIDI out ----+
>  SwitchQuant: CYC                  |
>  MoreLoops: 3L                             |
>EDP 2 (Slave)          MIDI in -----+
>  sync: IN             audio in   <------- (from board)
>  8ths/beat: 1         audio out  -------> (to board)
>  SwitchQuant: CYC
>  MoreLoops: 3L
>
>I record a loop in EDP 1 and MULTIPLY it into 8 cycles; the display
>shows
>
>EDP 1:LOOP:       1
>      LOOPTIME: 3.4
>      MULTIPLE: (cycles from 1 through 8)
>
>I record a loop in EDP 2 and MULTIPLY it into 2 cycles; the display
>shows:
>
>EDP 2:LOOP:       1
>      LOOPTIME: 13.8
>      MULTIPLE: (cycles from 1 to 2)
>
>On EDP 2, I want to do a NEXT LOOP/MULTIPLE type of loop copy.
>Unfortunately, EDP 2 does not enter a lame duck period; it switches to
>LOOP 2 immediately when NEXT LOOP is hit.  Interestingly, if I change
>EDP 2 to sync: OFF, then it works as expected (of course, the units are
>no longer synched).  In other words, EDP 2 seems to ignore
>SwitchQuant=CYC when Sync=IN.
>
>So, how do I do a NEXT LOOP/MULTIPLY loop copy on a slave unit?

It has to do with the 8ths/beat setting you have on EDP 2. You'll probably
want to set it to a higher value, something that is more related to the
loop time you are recording on there anyway.

When midi clock is coming in, the Echoplex uses that clock to determine
quantizing triggers for loop switching. The 8ths/beat setting determines
the interval of clocks that go by for each quantizing event. When you have
8ths/beat set to 1 on EDP 2, it will quantize to each 1/8 note from the
tempo set by EDP 1. When there is no midi clock coming in, it generates the
quantize event for itself at the end of each cycle.

So in this case, you actually are going into the waiting period, just not
for very long. As soon as the next 1/8 note point comes by, it will switch.
If you set 8ths/beat on EDP2 to 8 or 16, you will have a much longer
waiting period.

Another way to look at this is that The echoplex is determining it's cycle
length from the midi clock and the 8ths/beat setting. So with 8ths/beat = 1
it is using one 8th note for its cycle time. When you go to record a loop
on that echoplex, it will happily let you make that loop as long as you
like, but from it's point of view the loop will already consist of many
cycles when you tap record to end the loop. For example, say the midi clock
determines that an 8th note is .25 seconds long (meaning bpm=120). You tap
record to start a loop, and it begins recording at the next 8th note. You
tap record again to end it at 2.0 seconds. From the echoplex's point of
view, this loop is actually 8 cycles long, with each cycle being .25
seconds long. If you had instead set 8ths/beat = 8, the 2.0 second loop
would be one cycle long, and might do more what you expect here.

hope this helps,

kim