From: Bret [mailto:echoplex@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, July 06, 1998 2:09 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
Subject: Re: Is the new EDP more than just a software update?

The change in the power supply has to do with the voltage regulators
on the +5v section of the power supply (+5v for the digital section).
Two 7805 voltage regulators (U40 and U28) are removed from the EDP,
along with the heat sink that they are mounted on.  The new regulator
circuit replaces the 2 previous ones.  The new circuit is put in the
location of one of the previous regulators, and a jumper must be added
to connect between pin 3 of the U40 and U28 locations (+5v output).
One regulator replaces two, so the traces from the output of the
(previous) two must be paralleled.  It does run much cooler.

I contacted Mike Ayers at Gibson, and he sent the part out pronto.
Thanks Mike!

He can be reached at cayers@gibson.com

I would Not suggest you attempt this modification yourself unless you
are completely comfortable with working on printed circuit board
assemblies, that contain static sensitive components. You will have to
figure out the proper orientation of the new circuit, and locate pin 3
(for the jumper) on your own (the part doesn't come with a rework
procedure or diagram).

Kim helped me answer some questions I had when I changed mine (thanks
again, Kim).

If you have the proper skills and tools, it is not difficult to
dissasemble the EDP, desolder the old components, install the new
component, and add a jumper wire.  If you are not experienced with
this type of work, leave it to Oberheim, or a good technician. Making
a mistake while doing this rework could be destructive to the EDP.

I will be glad to answer questions regarding this rework, but cannot
_teach_ you how to do this via Email.

bret

---KILLINFO@aol.com wrote:

> > Kim recently posted about the new low-heat power supply. Does any
one know how to obtain this or how you would upgrade to it.