Re: angry reply :-) Buzz Feiten tuning system.

>3. "I correspond with 5 or more microtonal theorists , and they know the
>truth"
>They know the truth about microtonal theory. They don`t know the truth
>about guitars. I think its easy to forget that this wonderful instrument
>is
>not something to
>be taken so lightly and say "hey , its just a guitar , its been around for
>ages".
>Well , its been out of tune for ages , its been bothering ppl for ages
>that
>its impossible to tune consistently. The goal is not to get a stringed
>instrument that is perfectly in tune , but rather to get an instrument
>that
>is not seriously FLAWED.

Being perfectly in tune is overrated.
When I see people stop hooking their thumb over the low E to mash down a
bass note, I may direct some attention to the "serious flaws" of the
guitar, but probably not before then.  Given the amount of distortion,
vibrato, and pitch-shifting (harmonizers, chorus, flange, etc) in use
today, I can't work up too much of a sweat over a few cents in the lower
register.

And I've also listened to some of the just intonation/microtonal guys
(Harry Partch, for instance) and much as I love it, I'd have to say that
as far as most of western humanity is concerned, they're WAY out of tune.

And (in a desperate attempt to make this of more interest to
non-guitarists while still conceding a total lack of looping references),
your average synthesizer isn't so in-tune either.  I remember Donald
Fagen ranting on about how sickingly out-of-tune he found all
synthesizers (perhaps he also heard some "serious flaws" in the design),
how nigh-on unusable they were, etc, etc.  I know some synths can be
reprogrammed to any tuning system you favor, but I don't think that it's
all that important for most people.

Travis Hartnett