memory man reissues and pedals in general

Jay Allen wrote:

>  I will disagree with you on the backwards delay.  It isnt that great
>compared to
> my DD5.  Anyway-- What does everyone think about the reissue memory man?
> i am
> thinking about buying a second delay pedal and having trouble decideing
>which on
> to get.

I just got one a while ago, and have been in the process of breaking it
in.  Here are
my first impressions (and I am using my Ibanez AD-9 analog delay and my
Boss
pitchshifter/delay [pd-4?] as benchmarks.

Good:  The quality of the delay is warm, round, organic and fuzzy.  No
irritating
pick clangs repeated a la Boss (or any other modern digital delay I have
used.

Good: Volume of your guitar does not drop significantly when pedal is
engaged (like
most analog delay pedals I have used)  I could never figure out why this
was, but
never ceases to piss me off.

Good:  The vibrato, in particular, is a lot of fun.  Too bad there isn't a
separate
switch for it.

Bad:  The feedback on it is really weird:  you get one really loud tap,
and several
much quieter repeats.  This is the pedal's main drawback, IMHO.  I like
one or two
good repeats (like a tapped delay) with medium delay times.  The quality
of the delay
makes up for a lot, though.

Bad:  There is a gain control that cannot be bypassed. Perhaps on further
inspection,
one of us could figure out how to do it, but it would be great to be able
to set the
volume of your effects pedals (see addendum).

Bad: If someone can get useful runaway out of one of these badboys, let me
know how.
If you jack up the feedback and start it whistling, the output has no
effect so you
squeaks are way too loud.  The AD-9 is the king of this.

Addendum:

I am giving away the trade secrets to my spectacularly successful fx box
company that
exists only in my own mind.  Anybody who wants to use these ideas is free
to, so long
as you make me a few pedals as well:

1) fx pedals should have their own volume and tone controls.  Digital
delay pedals
need to have a knob where you can roll off the highs (lows would be nice
too).
Distortion pedals need to have (IMHO) a guitar type pot with a low value
cap (like
old tele's did) to roll of the highs BEFORE you hit the clipper.
Compressor need to
have the ability their tone rolled down (or have your own tone settings).

I built (with a lot of help from a friend of mine) a passive effects
looper that had
their own volume and tone controls for each loop.  It's great, but hassle
to use,
because I use just about every conceivable combination of the 4-7 pedals
on the
floor.

2) fx pedals never seem to have enough gain going out. I don't know why.
Maybe you
do.  Maybe it was too many Husker Du records as a child, but I firmly
believe that
distortion should be louder than your clean sound (except for that extra
pedal you
keep set low so you can be insanely distorted at very low volumes).

3) Can we agree one where the in/out jacks are going to be?  I have thirty
different
patchcords (straight to straight, angle to angle, straight to angle, etc.
etc.) so
that I can keep my fx boxes within two feet of each other.  Personally, I
think
having the jacks on the top is kind of nice.

4) Wouldn't it be great if pedals had interlocking tongue and groove
locking systems
on the side.  Bolt all your pedals together, and who needs a pedal board?