I got loop!

I only had a an hour or so to play around with my new Echoplex DP
yesterday--just enough to whet my appetite, but OMG! This thing is
amazing!

Only one problem: after I've been playing a while, my wife yells
upstairs, "Why don't you PLAY something? That's driving me crazy!"
Uh oh. Looks like I may have to get out the old headphones...

Well, I've only got one question at this point, and it seems so
simple, that I feel stupid asking it, but how do you solo over your
loop without recording anything? I did read the manual from cover
to cover, but I can't seem to find anything that addresses this.
After hitting "record", playing a bit, then "record" again, I have
a loop going, but everything I play after that is also recorded, as
if I'm overdubbing. It never goes back to play mode. What am I doing
wrong? I was able to keep hitting "undo" to avoid recording over my
loop, but that gets to be very annoying, especially on shorter loops.

Also, I should say that I reset to factory defaults, so this isn't
being caused by any inadvertent programming on my part. I was using
an Alesis footswitch plugged into the footpedal jack on the EDP.