Re: just a casual reminder....

>Didn't Tony Conrad play with La Monte Young in his Theater of Eternal
>Music.
>I love La Monte and think that he's a genius. How can I find the Tony
>Conrad
>CD "Four Violins"?
>Jeff Collins
>collinsclan@sprintmail.com

"Four Violins" is a part of the 4CD Early Minimalism set by Conrad on Table
of the Elements. "Four Violins" was recorded in '64, the rest of the set
was recorded recently, but composed in the mid-60's. Evidently, at least
according to Conrad, LaMonte Young has been sitting on recordings of the
Theater of Eternal Music, with Conrad, John Cale, and others, refusing to
release them because they showed that many of the innovations that credited
to Young were actually developed by as group collaborations.

The Conrad box, at least the 2 discs I've listened to so far, is great. I
have a few other records of his, a collaboration with Faust that is one
extended psychedelic riff extended over about an hour, and a disc for
amplified strings from a few years ago. Very nice, really hardcore
minimalism.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra