Re: speaking of early Torn

>Once upon a time, Pete Koniuto wrote:
>>
>> i am DYING to know where i can get a hold of a recording
>> of the early CMP release SURA.
>>
>> I think SURA was a Mark Nauseef record--not sure--but
>> featured Torn, Trilok Gurtu, and Kamalesh Maitra on
>> tabla tarang.
>>
>> I don't think CMP ever re-released SURA on CD.
>>
>> Anyone know anything about this recording?

Hmm.  I have Sura on CD.

I have the Japanese release, so maybe the CD was made avail. in Japan
only.  To further complicate things, the record company here, Jimco, went
out of business, so I doubt the Japanese CD is still in print.

The recording sounds more conventional jazz recording-ish to me.  There
are noticeable edits, too, and I don't think the CD has the 'magic' sound
quality that more recent CMP releases have.  Dunno, maybe it's just bad
mastering on the Japanese side...  (the later Nauseef releases sound
*much* better)

The compositions have a 'composed ensemble free(r) jazz' feel to it --
what sound like structured jazz chords and predetermined free improv
sections within each piece (I'm not a jazz performer, so I can't be
precise in my explanation).  Over the music Mr. Torn does his usual
thing...  with less (or no?) loops, this was '83, but his guitar wailings
have the same quality as what we hear now.

In terms of the musical idioms represented, I don't think we hear much
non-Western traditional musics here that the instruments may suggest...

Mark Nauseef "Sura": the catalog number is JICK-89728, company name Jimco
Japan Corp.

Grass doesn't grow on busy streets.         -Edvard Graham Lewis

Yoshi Matsumoto
email:  liminal@st.rim.or.jp
web:   http://www.at-m.or.jp/~liminal