Re: EDP blows fuses?

At 4:33 PM -0700 3/26/98, Bill Moyer wrote:
>I recently purchased a new EDP.  After  very little use it started
>blowing fuses on start-up.

That would be unusual. sounds like there might be something wrong with it.

>I took it in to have it checked out.  The
>guy put in a slow blow fuse , turned it on and off quickly multiple
>times, got an 8.8 on the screen and powered down.

well, that could be from turning it on and off quickly! If you turned it
back on quickly enough, before it had fully powered down, you could have
the processor come up in a weird state.

(reminds me of when I was a kid and my brother and i would do that
intentionally with our atari video games. sometimes the games would come up
in bizarre states that were fun to play with....)

> He then put in a
>'fast blow' fuse and it seems to work fine.

that doesn't mean it's fixed.

>This troubles me and I'm considering returning the unit, as I would hate
>to have this occur in performance.  Any advice? Heard of this before?

I haven't heard of any problem, but shit happens, which is why you put
fuses in stuff like this. Better to have the fuse go when there is a
problem than a microprocessor! You might want to have a more knowledgeable
tech take a look at it. (a tech who deals with a blowing fuse by replacing
it with a slo-blo is not one I would go back to...)  or contact Oberheim to
have it checked out at the factory.

kim