Re: Digital vs analog

Comments on the warmth discussion...

>"warmth" of analog recording is the result of harmonic distortion
and
>what makes something sound "warm", i can state
>pretty definitively that it is NOT simply added distortion

These statement are not related logically, both could be true, false or
any combination

The explanation gradually shifted from whether distortion could add
warmth to whether distortion and warmth are the same. I am sure this is
not what you intended to do.
----------
My two cents, dave is right that it is not the distortion that is the
warmth, however there are system which sound warm AND good AND happen to
have alot of harmonic distortion, and some systems sound cold AND bad AND
have very low distortion. To go a stepo further, given current technology
warmth and distortion are often hard to separate.

There probably are certain subtle distortions which give sound a metallic
and cold feeling that I try to avaoid.

    \  Andy Wolpert    \__
    /  awolpert@sonic.com /
    |  (415) 893-8043    /