DAW vs. ADAT info

        The reason for getting an external media device ( there are
several aside from the ADAT that are preferable: they are, essentially, an
additional dedicated harddrive and CPU for sound storage ) is to get
access to a larger number of audio channels simultaneously.  For example,
your computers' combination of CPU (speed, floating point, etc.) and
harddrive (data transfer rate and access time) dictates how many audio
tracks the computer will be able to handle.  With my PC setup (233mmx
chip, SCSI III drive), I can get 26 or 27 tracks playing simultaneously.
My other PC (100mhz chip, EIDE drive) could only handle about 12 tracks.
Also, as mentioned, you need a good quality soundcard.  There are many on
the market with good A/D converters and good frequency handling.  You also
need a large hard drive capacity (I often run out of space on my 3 gig
SCSI drive).
        The ADAT or other removable media lets you actually save the
original tape, whereas your harddrive cannot do that (you must master or
transfer the soundfiles to something else - most people just do an audio
mix down to DAT or CDR or cassette).
        Also, most soundcards have only 2 ins and 2 outs, so you're very
limited as to recording and monitoring routes.  My setup gives me 8 ins
and 8 outs, but I really need to upgrade to 16 ins (you can't record many
bands with only 8 ins).
        Let me know if you have any specific questions, as I have
researched this a fair amount.  I now run a recording studio that is PC
based, and sounds as good as any I've heard!

                Cheers,

                        Jon Grant
                        Tian Music
                        www.aracnet.net/~tianmus