Re: Gear judgement and expression

At 01:44 PM 3/25/98 +1000, Jamie Lack wrote:
>I am often suspicious of statements like the one below.

you should be, so am I.

[snipped out a bunch of stuff I wrote to irritate gearheads like me]

>I don't understand the purpose of such generalised public statements.

In my case its usually to provoke people because I've gotten bored with the
other threads going on. Usually I just say things to see what will happen.
Anything to relieve the monotony of another day full of long-winded fripp
posts. (note --> :-)

[snipped out a bunch of Jamie's thoughts that I agree with and have said in
various ways many, many times before so let's just move on]

>AND NOW FOR SOMETHING ELSE
>
>Does any other loopers out there feel that the arrival of more
>expressive control devices is overdue?

way, way, overdue. Mostly because it's really, really hard to get new ideas
out into the general world of musicians, who are mostly a lot more
conservative than they would have you believe. I've got more than a few
battle scars to show for it, and plenty of old-dog war stories to tell. You
have to get me into a dark seedy bar before I'd be willing to tell them,
though. I need atmosphere.

>If you think about it, the volume pedal is a very simple thing.
>Can't we do better?
>
>Instead of being able to control one parameter with one appendage, we
>should be able to achieve a higher resolution.
>Like, the flexion of each joint, say?
>Or maybe contraction of muscles.
>
>The most promising thing I have seen to date is the Ribbon controllers
>and scratch pads, or the Korg wavedrum.

actually, ribbon controllers are an old idea that was recently revived.
They
were used a lot on synths a couple of decades ago. The most important
question there is, why did people ever stop using them? How come synth
companies stopped putting them on synths? And how long do we have before
they disappear again?

And the wave drum is just a drum head with a mic feeding a dsp, which has
various interesting algorithms for processing the sound, either
transforming
it completely or effecting the original in some fashion. So while it's an
interesting instrument, it's not a new control interface, it's "just" a
drum! And despite the general popularity of drums, the wavedrum has not
been
a very successful product for korg. I'm actually surprised (and happy!)
that
they still have it in their catalog.

Now if Don Buchla ever gets HIS drum-like controller out into the world,
then you will see a glimpse of the future.

>The "mastery" of these complicated electronic toys will be assisted, I
>think, through better means of control.

well, that's the problem, isn't it? The sound making devices on the end far
surpass the control devices in the front.

Part of the reason is that designing a good musical instrument interface is
much, much harder than writing dsp code. You have to spend a lot of time
thinking about human ergonomics and psychology and creative impulse. You
have to study popular instruments to try and ascertain what makes them
popular. And you go through a whole lot of trial and error.

Anybody can wire up a switch or a button or some sort or sensor to a sound
generator. Going from there to a musical instrument is a whole other ball
o'
wax! Takes a bit of genius-like inspiration and a will of stainless steel
stand patiently in the face of financial disaster for years while waiting
for musicians to even give your idea a try....

And of course the other problem lies between the front and the end. My old
friend midi. If you actively tried, you would not be able to design a worse
networking protocol for musicial instrument control than midi. That alone
has hampered a lot of potential innovation in musical controllers.

And god forbid that you should suggest a midi replacement! The heavens will
rain fire upon your noggin then!

so it's hard. BFD, it's worth the trouble I say!

How might musicians help make it become less hard?

 - Notice that there are many, many, many brilliant
   musical instrument innovations out there.

 - decide to take a Big Chance.

 - go out and find one you think is interesting.

 - learn to use it, create some great musical stuff with it.

 - go out in the world with your new instrument and show people
   the great stuff you created with it.

 - inspire them with your stuff, so that they might want to
   create stuff like that.

 - patiently answer their questions and show them the wonderful
   new instrument that helped you create your inspiring musical
   stuff.

 - rinse, and repeat.

If the innovative types have some success with their ideas, they will
continue to create innovative new instruments. If not, the new ideas
whither
and die. We're all part of that community, and need to put something into
it
to get something out. right?

>So, let's hear some weird ideas, eh?

so c'mon everyone, what sort of new musical controllers do we need? and
since this is Looper's Delight, what sort musical loop controllers do we
need?

kim