Re: ProjeKct 2 @ Palookaville, Santa Cruz, CA...

No kidding, WOOWWW.  Since Miko covered much of the gear stuff, I'll
mostly
just mention my general impressions. (Due to a maddening years-long series
of
unfortunate conflicts, this was the first time I'd heard RF live in
literally
decades, since early King Crimson.  So I was pretty curious, to say the
least...)  Anyway, here was genius-boy and his wondrous state-of-the-art,
red-twinkling toy chest. I really admire the finesse and brilliance with
which
he uses these tools to transform inspired string vibrations into something
other-worldly - and doing it live, no less.  The music both fully utilizes
and
transcends its sources.  In my book, that's a fundamental definition of
great
musicianship.

(The same could equally be said of, for instance, pan-pipe and didjeridu
virtuosos.  In other words, it ain't about the tools, it's all in how you
use
whatcha got.  -- 'Course, I wouldn't mind having another EDP or three, and
maybe a couple Eventides, a Switchblade just for fun, in addition to the
pan
pipe and didj and...then all I'd have to do is learn to *play* the darn
stuff...:-)

>     It's obvious that either Fripp or some slaving techie type has
>     programmed the hell out of all of his boxes! He gave his pitch
>     transposers a very heavy workout. And what a mess on the floor.

Yeah, no sign of an EZ-plug umbilicus from rack to floor pedalz.  Medusa's
frolic.

I tried to snake in for a close look at Gunn's rack, but the
sardine-packed
gearheads were superglued to their hard-won tufts of turf. (Gunn's
equipment
list is at http://www.treygunn.com/equipment.html.)  He was playing his
12-string Warr guitar.  What a great axe!  I'd love to try one out, never
have.
 Who on the list plays one?  Will you marry me?  You can keep the
girlfriend!!
:-)  (Digression: what'd really be cool is a fretless, although intonation
:on
big chords would be a mutha.  Plus, frets would make quite a difference in
getting those bright hammered-on tones.  Although I once played a fretless
bass
with an add-on aluminum fingerboard shell that sounded *outrageous*.)
Anyway,
Gunn did some sweet contrapuntal stuff between high and low strings, the
sound
and execution were exceptionally clean.  He and Fripp set up rock solid
grooves; they obviously enjoy playing off each other.  RF whipped off a
few
Karn-esque bass riffs here and there, which made this big-wave freak
smile.  I
particularly liked a tune that was built on simultaneous ascending and
descending scales, more or less - TG doing one scale, RF the other.  At
which
point, somebody in the crowd yelled, "You guys are weird!"  Well, even
Santa
Cruz can be provincial...

>     Fripp was there early, looping away while all the gear freaks crawled
>     around the front of the stage like army ants. Nice spacey, complex,
>     intricate webs of sound. Synth as well. This went on for around a
>half
>     hour, with the crowd looking like a gang of implantees from the
>     X-files, all out in a field waiting for the mother ship.

Ha ha, great description, Miko.  The warm-up loop was much more personal,
spontaneous, and unpretentious than typical canned pre-concert
mood-setters.
 RF eased it back on after the encore, as the mother ship was lifting off.

>     PS: My wife Katie and I were able to hook up with fellow LD
>     contributor Laurie Hatch and her SO Rem! We had a great time at a
>     great show. Loop collaborations in the near future are imminent...

Yeah, ditto that.  Funny how ya can become "old friends" with people
you've
never actually met before...BTW, Miko turned me on to some reviews of the
ProjeKct2 Ventura show that Frippoholics might be interested in.  Go down
"Gig Reviews":
http://elephant-talk.com/digests/et476.htm

Palookaville and SF:
http://elephant-talk.com/digests/et477.htm

One more thing, for Frisellophiles:  As if P2 wasn't enough inspiration
for one
night, found this used at a great little discount-discjoint before the
concert:
Smash and Scatteration with Vernon Reid.  Holy Cow, wish it were a double
-
this album is amazing!  Doesn't get any better, IMHO.  BTW, there's a
brief
Frisell/Reid rykodisc history at
http://www.rykodisc.com/3/catalog/artist/150.html.  Click on the Smash and
Scat