Re: Phantom ringing

-> From: Kim Flint <kflint@annihilist.com>

> Throughout my life I've had a very odd thing happen with my hearing. It
> happens rarely, once every other month or so. The hearing in one ear or
the
> other will do a complete fade out and be replaced by a high pitched tone.
> won't be able to hear anything else in that ear. This will last about a
> minute, and the tone will slowly fade away while real sounds slowly fade
> back in. Very rarely, it will be a low pitch instead. I've never been
able
> to relate it's occurance to anything, always completely unexpected. It
> would be quite frightening if I hadn't been experiencing it my whole
life.
> Does this happen to anyone else, or am I a freak?

Yeah...this happens to me too.  You're not a freak.....or maybe we both
are!!

Anyway, I haven't noticed any connection between this high pitched tone and
exposure to loud sounds (I always wear my nifty custom-fitted ear plugs to
concerts, practices, gigs, etc.).  Then again, I've read that even exposure
to low level sounds (like road noise) over long periods of time can cause
hearing loss...so maybe it's all this BLASTED typing noise at work that's
doing it!

Matt