RE: ears (and links)

Hey Kim, gracias for elaborating on Darwin's page.  Without your
interpretation, I doubt I would have plucked this from the maze with the
recognition that it was a piece to the puzzle.

Cool that Wessel materialized at such an opportune time - again, thanks
for
asking the questions, and for taking the time to relay his responses.

laurie

 Kim wrote:
On this fellow's excellent page may be part of the answer, specifically
here:
http://www.biols.susx.ac.uk/Home/Chris_Darwin/Perception/Lecture_Notes/Heari

ng3/hearing3.html#RTFToC6

where he discusses combination tones.
a summary:
In a person with healthy hearing, when two tones fairly close in frequency
are
played, a third tone can be heard. If the two input tones are F1 and F2,
the
third tone will be 2F1 - F2. This is called the cubic difference tone.
This will probably not be harmonically related to either tone, and will
therefore could sound very dissonant. He also notes that people suffering
from
hearing loss will not experience this. (he explains why, go read it.)
By coincidence, I saw David Wessel tonight and asked him if he knew an
answer,
and he mentioned this same effect as a possibility. (he also noted there
is
much debate on the subject, and there are no hard answers.)  He also noted
that
in older population groups, men usually suffer from considerably more
hearing
loss than women. (it's not clear if this is due to lifestyle, which may
therefore be changing, or physiological differences.) So men will have
more
hearing loss than similarly aged women, and therefore will not experience
this
third tone effect as much as women will. So maybe that's part of the
answer.
As to why these dissonances result in discomfort, I have no idea.....
kim
Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com