echoplex - hi freq overload

Recently I started looping my Alesis HR-16 drums with the echoplex dp.
 Prior to that I had input mostly bass guitar, and electric guitar.

While looping high hats and cymbals, I noticed that I have to be very
careful with the input level (keep input LED only green), or I get an
unpleasant distortion.  Per the input LED I seem to be able to input a
much larger signal for bass drums (or bass guitar and guitar) and
snare  than the cymbals.

Further, it looks like the LED for input level, and the LED for
Feedback level do not correspond very well with one another.  The
input LED seems to register lower than the feedback LED.  That is to
say, when starting a loop, if I set the input level so that the input
LED shows only green, then the feedback LED will still go orange or
red (with high freq signals).  This occurs before the loop has grown
beyond the initial input.

I have not done the R7 - 75k 5% 1/4w CF modifications to the clipping
indication on input LED, nor any of the limiter circuit modifications
(r20,r21, or the resistor tacked to bottom of PCBA ala Kim).

Would any of these mods help with my apparent high frequency overload
sensitivity?  Any other suggestions to resolve this?

bret