electronica double standard?

matthew hahn wrote:
>I have to agree on the subject of DJing.  I am not knocking it, but in
>deference to looping I'm willing to submit that DJing is more emotional
>than technical, more creation of moods from other people's music, than
>creating one's own.

Interesting... You might make the same observation about any number of
non-electronica bands that play essentially recycled or nostalgic music
(Porcupine Tree, for example.)  It's kosher in music criticism to knock
bands that sound too much like older bands, but
electronica/sampling/remixing is seemingly exempt from that criticism.  I
don't think I understand why that is.  Anyone?

Scott Bullerwell
tanelorn@dimensional.com
Boulder, Colorado, USA