Re: physical modeling ,setup time and the future

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998 02:32:06 +0100 "Woehni" <hovard@online.no> writes:
>Hi , this isn`t exactly loopology , but I was wondering if any of you
>have checked out the Roland VG-8 or as similar "physical modeling"
Devices  (like the =
>Johnson Millennium)??

I've used a Roland VG-8 for a little more than a year and wouldn't go
back to my old rig.  Granted there are tradeoffs on either side, but the
variety of sounds and ease of transport make the VG-8 work for me.
Setup for me is a bit over 5 minutes.  This will change somewhat as I
plan to add some external processing and a Chapman Stick.

In a strange way though, the VG-8 makes me appreciate my classical guitar
and my el cheapo non master volume amp that much more.  The immediacy
of these instruments is just as appealing to me as a multi pitch shifted,
pseudo looped, synthetic sound.

>When/if that technology takes off(price/availability/quality) I think
>that will change the sounds off guitar players forever.  Imagine
>starting from scratch , without ANY preconceived sound as a starting
point.

Even when the technology is more accessible, there will still be a
contingent who won't want to try it.  On the other hand, technopuds
like me will sniff this stuff out and attempt to make it do stuff it's
not supposed to. When I program, I try to think in terms of the song,
not in terms of reproducing a certain guitar/amp combination.  But I
agree that as the technology develops, things are gonna get wacky.

>I think this is KINDA along the lines of the future of
>looping-thread.........To add to that thread:  I think the future of
>looping lies in the hope that technology will be more accessible
>and affordable.

Not only that, but bringing the technique into the "masses" and
beyond guitarists will help.  Though most of us are guitarists, I
find some guitarists are the most uptight about checking out things
beyond three octave Yngwie arpeggios (or whatever the new gymnastic
flavor is).   When my band plays live, the other musicians are interested
in how the sounds are created and how we arrange our tunes, but most
"rock and roll" guitar types think it's a crutch.  They listen with their
eyes and not their ears.

>When the VG-8 and the Echoplex cost less than a new
>strat I think more players are going to check them out........thus
>bringing looping into less "weird" territories and
>different styles.

Agreed to a degree.  Marketing types will unfortunately attach
elitism to items like these so they can justify a higher price tag.
Until some pop icon of sorts begins touting looping and physical modeling
as the next cool thang, we will have to educate the audiences we
encounter.

>Lets face it: Us David Torn fans ain`t exactly a BIG
>percent of the musicians out there.

That's ok, what we lack in size we make up in enthusiasm (some innuendo
intended)

Whew!  That's the most I've ever said on the list.  Back to sorta
lurking.

Regards,
Robert
dERiSiOn

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]