Re: please explain ring modulators

Scott Bullerwell wrote:

>>A ring modulator, in the signal processing definition, is a
sum-and-difference device where an input signal's frequency (say, an
A440Hz) is added to and subtracted from an internal oscillator's frequency
(say, 200Hz), and the sum and difference are output as two tones (in this
case, 640Hz and 240Hz).  (The name, by the way, comes from the arrangement
of diodes in the analog circuit--I built one years ago from plans in Craig
Anderton's book "Electronic Projects For Musicians" and it was a gas!).<<

BTW Scott, is this book still available? If so, do you know where?
Thanks for the tip, I'm looking for some projects for the next while ...

Rob Cummings
Berlin, Germany

P.S. was the sound quality at least decent?

P.P.S. The Harmony Central site has a neat section called Effects Explained
which explains in layman's terms how various effects work (Phasers, RM,
etc.).