Re: Sticking it to Stanley J

andre wrote:

> It's funny - on a pindrop , this anti Stanley shitstorm started up
>(which i
> don't have a problem with, being a first amendment absolutist) - but i
>can
> only chuckle, thinking about that other famous guitarist, who is
> reflexively defended here, from any possible criticisms, while i have yet
> to see any quotes from Stanley dissing dozens of other guitarist and
>their
> techniques & styles.....as That Guy has......sigh...nice guys finish
> last.....

I have been really trying not to bust out so publicly on SJ, for fear of
generating bad karma, but I remember when I first experienced his, uh,
talents.  A friend of mine mother (this is back in '89 or so) rented a
performance tape of his at the local video store.  Ol' Ms. Minott was a
pretty hip lady, and I had heard a lot of good things about this guy so
I was fairly excited.

Highlights:

The duds: I don't know if he hired somebody to pick this stuff out for
him, but his outfit looked like a combination of Mr. Rodgers and Micheal
Jackson.  He would play a short set, walk off stage, change his clothes,
play another set, leave the stage, change his clothes, play the encore
game (you know, when people say goodnight, walk off the stage, the
lights stay out, the amps stay on) and come back on in another set of
clothes.  Each sillier then the last.

Prince can do this.  I don't know why, but I will pay money to see
Prince change his clothes five time in a night (as long as he promises
to play guitar) and will be happy.  Especially if he is going to use his
wah.  Stanley can not.

The tone: His midi guitar tone is even worse than his electric tone. Far
worse.

I have to stop myself now.  I try not to say things like this because it
makes me aware that Stanley Jordan doesn't care or spend time discussing
my guitaring (harshly or otherwise) because, well, nobody cares.  There
I go, thinking those negative thoughts again.

Someday, people will take enough notice of my music to spend some time
ragging on it. Someday.

Trevor