Re: "Echoplex" plugin for MOTU system

At 11:24 PM -0500 2/17/98, Ed A. wrote:
>I am trying to get MOTU interested in creating a plugin for their MOTU
>system for Digital Perform that would, in effect, be a stereo "Echoplex"
>with delay times of 32 seconds or greater per channel(dependent on the
>Mac's memory). I think this would be an excellent alternative to
>hardware boxes like the Jamman or Echoplex. Something like this can even
>be used in real-time performance on a Powerbook.
>MOTU unfortunately won't let on as to their progress or future intention
>for this.
>Are there any programmers out there who can do this and make the plugin
>available as shareware or a commercial product? MOTU has a kit for
>programmers who wish to write plugins for Digital Performer.

I think there's a few developers around here with some experience creating
loop products. Ya never know what they might be up to.....once someone
gives up on such silly extravagances as free time and positive net incomes,
and loses an appropriate number of otherwise useful marbles, anything is
possible.

But I can imagine that one of these marble-impaired developers might be
wondering right now, of all the possibilities, why a MOTU plug-in?  One
might imagine that said developer would have to possess an active hatred
for positive cash flows to consider such a thing....

>On the hardware side, I contacted Lexicon and suggested that they create
>a "Jamman II" that would be true stereo with a higher bit resolution and
>sample rate at a price point of a Lexicon MPX-1. The guy who developed
>the Jamman is interested,I am told, but convincing Lexicon management to
>do this is another story.

Bob's not only interested, he's already done most of the development.....I
got the full scoop at NAMM. He probably doesn't want to discuss it
publicly, but it's a full-on tragedy.

>If people on this mailing list or website bother MOTU and Lexicon
>enough, maybe they'll release something sooner.

Considering how much money Lex lost on the Jamman, it'll take some
convincing. Apparently you have to get them to stop laughing at you first,
which I understand to be a little unpleasant. People here have certainly
tried to talk them into it, and Lexicon has now responded by producing
guitar amps. After they lose lots of money on that, they might be willing
to try loopers again, you never know......

Lexicon (and an assortment of other loopy manufacturers) are on the list,
BTW. You can just complain to them directly, right here! Of course they're
probably tired of hearing it by now, but they're always quite friendly
anyway.

kim