Re: Frisell's Looping techniques

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Randy Jones wrote:

> What creates that pedal steel effect? Is it just the trans trem on the
> Klein?

He was getting that effect 15 years ago with a Gibson SG with no whammy.
Just bending the neck... easy with an SG (i had a roommate who was
constantly popping his SG neck off the guitar that way).  I kinda doubt
he's bending the neck on a Klein, though, considering that it's carbon
fiber.  Oh, and don't forget the volume pedal and delay!

I used to actually practice what Frissell does... bring a chord fragment
in with the volume and delay, and then add a couple of picked notes as an
arpeggio.  Those last couple of notes just glisten in the bed of the
chord.  It's a beautiful effect.

Yeah, it's tacky to comment on player's personalities, but i've never
heard anything but praise for Frissell as an artist.  He appears genuinely
humble about his own skill.  He's also an amazingly *tasteful* player...
all the more so by how far outside he can go.  He's the only musician
alive i'd compare to Thelonius Monk.

-dave

Practice beautiful randomness and act kind of senseless.
<dstagner@icarus.net>