Re: Loop time vs. Delay time

Loopateers-

Please help with these two consumer questions:

1)"Once you create a loop (with overdubs), is there a way to have it fade
out like a delay, or will it always be strictly on/off?"
<<<<

turn the feedback knob down.....

2)"If I'm in delay mode and have created a multi-layer part, can I turn it
into a loop, or will it eventually fade out?"

<<<<

The basic answer is yes, but there is some confusion to clear up:

On the Echoplex (which is presumably what you're talking about...) there's
not really much difference between delay mode and loop mode, except for
the way Overdub works. In Delay mode the Overdub switch acts like a
traditional "delay hold" button, where turning it on stops the feedback
decays and doesn't allow new stuff added to the loop. When "hold" is off,
any sound at the input is added to the delay and feedback is active
(unless it's turned all the way up). The only other difference with delay
mode is minor, where the "feedback" jack in back becomes an input volume
to the delay line, which is kind of fun and useful.

In every other respect, loop mode and delay mode are the same. The idea of
converting a "delay" into a "loop" is not really meaningful, they are both
essentially the same. So if the person has created their loop in delay
mode, and wants to "turn it into a loop" they would either  a)turn the
feedback up   b) press hold   c)  switch back to loop mode, and still turn
the feedback up, or  d) never bother to be in delay mode in the first
place and just control feedback and Overdub actively.

I think that most people never use delay mode, because you can pretty much
get the same "delay" effect by just leaving overdub on and adjusting
feedback. It's mostly only there to help out people very used to using
traditional delays and unable to adjust the old habits to the new way....

Tom "Sloughing off my responsibilites to the List" Spaulding

FREE t-shirt (as worn by Kim Flint)to first respondee!
<<<<

I don't think you want to use me as a model.....

kim