Re: DON'T GO SEE A LIVE BAND -- YOU'LL BE BORED!!!

At 12:40 PM 2/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:29:30
>To: nyfac2@nyfac.com
>From: Frank Gerace <seahorse@us1.channel1.com>
>Subject: Re: DON'T GO SEE A LIVE BAND -- YOU'LL BE BORED!!!
>
>At 11:05 AM 2/13/98 +0000, you wrote:

>.............................  The problem seems to be the scenes are all
>too narrow in their focus.  It's time to infiltrate the scenes and subvert
>the genres by expanding them.  Open things out instead of staying within
>the
>boundaries.
>
>Frank
>Dreamchild

I totally agree.  About a year or so ago I placed myself smak in the
middle of a rock 'n roll club.  I had a weekly series going which included
loop type music along with special guests.  It took about three weeks to
catch on.  But
people started to come out......if for nothing more than curiousity.  As
artists it's our responsablity to step out and incourage these evolutions.

It's up to us to educate these club owners (some how) that will make them
realize that by widening there view will inhance there bottom line.
Besides,
I want to go out and be entertained with more variety too.  I get bored
too.

The only other thing for the artist to do is produce his or her own
events.  This is something I've been doing for about six years now.
Sometimes maybe only one event per year, sometimes a few.  It depends on
how much money and/or support I can muster up.  Sometimes they're great
and sometimes they don't
quite meet my expectations.  The point is, if everyone did at least one
per
year, there would be that much more energy in the community.  It would
also cut a lot of the clubs out of the loop.  (As they have done us.)
This way we
have a little more control over our careers.

Wow, this stream sure did take me out of lurk mode.  I'll go back into my
box
now.

Mark b.
Theatre of the Mind