Re: looping as sin

> >instrument if possible.  (That's the "sensible" rationale for
>microtuning.
> >My other one: what's so special about the mathematical ratios used in
> >Western tunings anyway?  There are more than 12 musically interesting
> >ratios.)
>
> Well, Steve Vai played a 13-note-per-scale guitar with "Xavian"
>tuning.....

There is a player in the Boston, Massachussetts, USA area by the name
of John ??? who plays a 31-note/octave guitar.  I think it is a fretless
with the lines for that 31-note/octave temperament (and I think at least
one other temperament - perhaps 19-tone) painted on.  I think Jon Durant
knows who I'm talking about; it was his brother Kingsley (are you there??)
who sent me a tape of this amazing player.

> have their one instrument and know it inside out.  However, with synth
> players the sounds are only as good as long as the synth is in vogue -
>how
> many players (besides Eno) have decided to say "right, I've got a DX7 (or
> whatever), and I'm going to get everything I can from it."

Pat Metheny has been using the same GR300 synth for about 15-17 years.

Interesting that someone said that synths just go "plonk".  What interests
me about synths are those sounds that can be sustained indefinitely while
having their timbre altered in various ways.

Cheers,

Paolo Valladolid