RE: looping as sin

>between, we're not interested.  I'm not against processing - obviously, or
>I'd not be here - but I do worry that our "ambient drone-guitar noodlings"
>are little more than attempts to attract attention through novelty of
>tone,
>rather than musical merit. After all, how many of us have actually sat
>down
>and _composed_ looping pieces, rather than just noodling?
>
>Michael

     Well, I figure I can noodle any time, and I might come up with
something useful, but if I've decided to record something it's almost
always composed. That involves sections (whose borders may or may not be
rigidly defined) and transitions. For me, the idea is to create movement
through an imaginary environment, and the movement has a stronger purpose
if I think about it ahead of time. There may be drone-y guitar in the
piece, and there may be some noodling involved, but it's part of an overall
structure. I'm sure I'm not the only one who works this way. As long as I'm
still using analog tape, I'll be trying not to waste it on something I
won't be listening to in a year!

    Kevin