Re:

This is a semi-reply, since I might be mistaken about what your referring
to...

One thing I've fiddled with is using the GR-1 (which has drums, basses,
etc.) into a Jamman to create looping grooves that I can add to or solo
over. It takes practice though, cause grooves are touchy things.

I've also wondered if something like a "MIDI Delay" box wouldn't be
interesting. Something that would:

1. Accept MIDI input and then output it again & again after a set delay
time, like loop record on a sequencer. Then it could possibly use preset
rules to change the data on each repeat, if desired, incl. note number,
velocity, channel, mod, bend...

2. Provide a click on a selected MIDI note. So you could start out with a
bass drum or hi-hat for example.

3. Store preset loop parameters, allow multiple loops as part of the
preset,
allow saving of the loops to disk or thru MIDI dump.

5. Follow MIDI clock, incl. tempo changes.

6. Have incredibly long loops with little RAM.

7. Let you do this w/o dragging a computer around.

Has anyone already seen something like this on the market? Does it sound
useful?
Forgive me if I missed the point.
Reg

At 02:37 PM 2/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Here goes again:
>
>There has to be a more hands on way to build non rhythmic samples and
static-non-pre - looped preset tones into full blown grooves that are
triggered all live and in real time with perfect synchronization from
scratch.

>I know Roland has a Drum set which gives you access to this type of Rhythm
setup. Unfortunately, I'm a pathetic drummer with no patience or desire to
learn how to be a decent real time skin banger.

>I'm convinced that there's gotta be a way to make MIDI and groove based
music through clever looping live. It would put a little more of chaos and
real time interaction with the technology into the picture and possibly add
more color and diversity to clubland.

>Though Sequencing is cool for a lot of clever musical applications, I'm
trying to approach this from say a traditional musicians perspective or
better yet a jazz musicians perspective but one that shoots squarely at the
dance floor.

>I know really good hip-hop DJ's can do something similar to this sorta
thing from turn tables. But DJ's are usually ( not always ) using
preexisting material and just spinning another tale on a tale that has
already been told some time earlier.

>Now its not that this format isn't exciting or incapable of inspiration -
God knows the nights Ive left the Dance floor in NYC or Philly shaking from
what were DJ Earthquakes. I'm just curious as to how the reception of the
audience as well how the experience would be from a performance based
perspective that was kinda worked for and more tangible for an audience and
performer - similar to what DT expressed in an earlier post.

>For instance I'm more interested in taking something that generally
provides basic tones accessible by hand or foot with sounds like a kick,
snare, a hi-hat or a tom and looping them layer by layer adding melody on
top of that & then building a piece more and more as ya go along using no
preset beats, no preset loops,... just going for it as either one person or
even as part of an ensemble.

>This may be a stupid question which has an answer I've overlooked. Or I
>may
be asking for a mix of a many different things to form a new instrument.