Re: Fernandes guy at NAMM

In a message dated 98-02-04 16:56:05 EST, Paolo Valladolid wrote:

<< This reminds me to ask... Has anyone here tried feeding their
guitar/Stick/
 bass/whatever into the analog input of a Waldorf Pulse Plus or one of the
 other analog synths that have analog inputs?  I recall Robert (oh no!)
 Fripp used to feed his Les Paul signal into a Synthi for his
Frippertronics
 sound.  Pete Cosey did that too with Miles Davis.  I think side one of
 Pangaea has an extended guitar solo processed through a Synthi. >>

I consistently run my guitar through an analog filterbank.  I started out
with
autowahs, attempting to confuse them via a volume pedal placed beforehand
in
the signal chain; I've since moved on to an MAM Resonator filterbank, and
currently use a Lovetone Meatball filterbank/envelope follower, which is
the
best I've found for severely altering the guitar envelope while allowing
"guitaristic" control (by picking pressure) of the resultant sound.  The
MAM
performs better (or at least it becomes more entertaining) placed after my
Echoplex, for coloring loops.  Basically, filters (and synths that allow
external audio input to their VCF sections) can really get the guitar into
some seriously appealing--or unpleasant, depending on your personal
taste--analog-synthetic territory.

-michael berk