loops, ambient or otherwise

The topics below obviously touch on some interesting fundamental points:

Music and Artistically Valid Noise

Yes I consider them different. Possibly Music is a subset of AVN. Or they
are side by side under a larger category(?) For me, method of production is
irrelavant to whether I wish or need to hear the final result. Granted,
Music and AVN are broad subjects. They are not always about a final sonic
result per se. But sometimes they are. And sometimes those sonic results
are
meant to achieve states of mind other than joy, anger, or pathos. Of
course,
approval of those states of mind is an essentially political choice.

By method of production, I refer to technology and technique, and also to
the envoronment the work is conceived in. Good work can be produced by
situations ranging from a lone person in his apartment to a band/orchestra
in a live venue. But since the discussion here relates to Looping as the
technology/technique, I bring up the next point....

*********

My operating definition of "looping" has been this:

Electronically or mechanically repeated time segments of audio. The time
segments would be at least about 1 second. Obviously, the time segments
must
be shorter than infinite, or else no repeat occurs.

A person sitting at a keyboard and playing the same phrase over and over
manually is not looping, he is repeating. Yodelling in a canyon is not
looping, it is echo. The effects can sometimes be similar using any of the
three. Which is why I bring up the next point....

*********

The purpose of looping to me appears to be:

To create interesting repeating patterns of sound (Music or AVN) easily.

To create thick layers of sounds unachievable in any any other economically
feasable way.

To create a One-Man-Band.

Any uses of looping I've experienced has fallen into one or more of those
categories. Notice that I do not include any specific political,
psychological, or aesthetic goals. Looping in itself is neutral to these.
However, any technology or technique has uses that are immediately
suggested, and others uses that are discovered or developed after
experience.

*********

Unfortunately, the human animal can suffer from the tendency to follow
sheep-like (or lemming-like). Ambient music has suffered from its
contingent
of brain dead devotees, as has Fripp. Originally, ambient music was not
intended as a hypnotic tranquilizer (which looping inherently lends itself
to). It was meant as music which operates equally on different levels of
awareness simultaneously. Persons who assume that loopers are into ambient
music by default, are a type of bigot. But don't damn a style of music for
that.

Fripp has always been an acquired taste. His explorations extend beyond
music per se. He has always questioned the audience-performer relationship,
and the effect of the music business on musicians. His actions at
performances are reflective of all that and probably more. He's never been
about being a "hot" player. The many comments I've seen here and elsewhere
asking why he doesn't "rip it up", or about him leavng the stage and
observing the audience, shows a lack of understanding about the artist.

Fripp has never been about being a Looper, either. For him it is a method,
not the point. Seems to me, that's a good lesson for a lot of us.

Reg

*********
*********