Re: midi cable lenght induced latnecy?

At 11:11 PM 1/23/98 EST, ZeplinSoup wrote:
>should I buy a new cable??my current cable wraps around 3 football fields!

wow! I'm feeling very inadequate.

>...or
>
>is a midi cable like an electricity wire where the transfer is instant
>beacue
>it entering one elctron on one end simply pushes the last one out on the
>other
>end.....

It IS an electrical wire. As such, there is a delay for any waveform to
travel from one end to the other, but that delay is going to be extremely
short. (nothing is instant.) In fact, you would probably need thousands of
miles of cable before you would even begin to notice it. This cable delay
is
waaaaaaaay smaller than midi delays incurred by the processors in the thing
transmitting and the thing receiving the midi data.

With very long cable you do risk problem with signal loss. The resistance
of
a very, very long cable might cause the signal to get too small and the
receiver at the midi in jack might not be able to pick up the data. You'd
notice that, because stuff wouldn't work.

kim
Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com