Re: <STEREO>

Jeff Schwartz wrote:

> Mark has a very good point (and some other cat posted
> along the same lines a few days back-how many folks in the
> crowd can actually percieve a lot of stereo effects?) but
> at the same time, as I said, there are a bunch of Vortex
> effects (like 3/7 echoes) which sound way more like music
> if there are quarter note triplet echoes coming from one
> place and septuplet echoes coming from another, not to
> mention the possibilities for panning a lead a la Pete
> Cosey.
> I enjoy hearing an unmiked ensemble for many reasons, not
> least because I can walk around the venue and experience a
> varied mix/EQ. I think playing stereo can offer a similar
> experience. I hate hearing a band where they use the PA to
> overpower the room sound only to replace it with fake
> ambience.

Hey,

Don't get me wrong, I love stereo (I run my home stereo with a surround
sound processor from time to time), and even usually run my rig in
stereo live when I do small cafes or similar venues.  It's when you do
larger clubs that the mono thing comes into play.  As much as I agree
with you, it comes down to pleasing the lowest common denominator.  It
is better to give everyone good sound (although this rarely happens, but
don't get me started...) than it is to give a few people great sound.

Along a similar line, I just tested out an ART guitar amp.  It had this
sonic holography feature that was pretty neat, but I'm sure impossible
to use in a large club.  For those who, like myself, got turned off by
ART's original amps, these new ones seem much, much better (the design
is by Pierce).  Check them out if you get a chance, you toy addicted
guitar heads, they seem pretty cool.

   -- --
Mark

@