Vortex Virgin

This will not be a sexy post.
Just got my Vortex w/ manual etc. This unit is used and it seems to me
that the presets are not intact (big surprise). The manual (and all the
buzz from loopers) suggested that I should hear some pretty dramatic
things...I don't. Some presets sound like nothing. It is difficult for
me to gauge the abilities of this device with no examples. Would anyone
be interested in providing parameter info for the presets (or cool
reatives) so that I can get a feel for this thing?
Also would appreciate comments on setup: where do you place your Vtex?
Mixer fx loop, amp fx loop, pre mixer or amp? etc.
Thanks
Dave