RE: Fripp tour?

When I met Fripp before one of the King Crimson shows a few years back, he
and his tech said that he actually maintained two separate rigs in Europe
and the US. The shipping costs for transporting it all across the ocean
were
apparently so great that it was cheaper to buy it all a second time. He had
a heck of a lot of gear for those shows, btw.

kim

At 02:31 PM 11/26/97 -0500, David Kirkdorffer wrote:
>RE: Fripp and his gear.
>
>When he was on tour with G3, Robert carried a small mountain of
>equipment.
>
>He had a four foot tall rack with two of everything in it (so he can run
>two looping "architectures" each in stereo).  Further, his "pedal-board"
>has developed to become a "pedal-riser."  That is, he sits on a one-foot
>tall by about five foot square riser, to which is attached his stool,
>all foot-pedals and other stuff of wonder.
>
>The rack and the "riser" are connected via an "umbilical" chord, so that
>when set-change time comes it takes three people a few seconds to move
>the lot off stage.  Two to pick up the riser, and one to push the rack.
>
>Hardly anything that would fit in a Hyundi... maybe a Land Rover?
>
>My guess is he's doing the shows on the East Coast to help defray the
>cost of shipping his stuff to the US in anticipation of some King
>Crimson rehearsals in early 1998.   Just a speculation...
>
>David

Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com