Nerds

Looping Technique
When my loops start sounding the same, I turn the wet/dry mix control to
full dry.  Then I play very sparsely for a minute or two.  Then I stop
recording, unplug my guitar, turn the mix control up just enough so that
it's barely audible and go upstairs, closing the basement door behind me.

Then I try to forget what I played and ignore the sound coming from my
rig.  The floor and door filter out the highs and force me to mentally
fill in what I can't hear.  I let this go on for a few hours, especially
if my kids and wife don't complain.

It usually gives me some new ideas.

Top 10 List
1.  Is This My World That Hovers? [Wild Turkeyneck Records, 45 Belmont
Ave., Suite 4C, Garfield, NJ 07026) - Ken Rubenstein (1991 Guitar Player
International Soundpage Competition Winner) - Fantastic, highly creative
loops & compositions
2.  The Police (live)
3.  Paul Motian Trio (live in Japan)
4.  Duran Duran's Greatest Hits (don't laugh)
5.  Suicide
6.  The Planet Radio Station in Detroit - I haven't listened to commercial
radio (except for the news) since 1990.  This station plays alternative
rock from the 90s and 80s.  I find it very strange and empty.  Especially
considering that my usual points of reference are Derek Bailey, Fred
Frith, David Torn, Crimson, etc.  But, it's fun to listen to, anyway.
7.  Larry Young (Hammond organ trio recorded in 1961)

Mark Kata
Mark@asisoftware.com