From:   Henry Throop [SMTP:throop@bogart.Colorado.EDU]
Sent:   16 November 1997 22:16
To:     Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
Subject:        Re: sick Vortex

Anthony Bowyer-Lowe <anthony@amudarya.demon.co.uk> writes:

> My most wonderful Lexicon Vortex is sick - poor thing. The rotary
> encoder that selects the effect (the preset/register knob) has become
> intermittent, and will only choose certain preset numbers. I can still
> choose effects using the 'step' footpedal, but that doesn't let me
> choose preset effects, only the user registers.

> Any ideas what the problem is? Figure it's a mechanical issue with the
> encoder, so how easy is it to replace? Does anyone have contact
> information for Lexicon in the UK?

The same control went out on my LXP-15.  It's not exactly trivial to
replace, but if you're handy with a soldering iron you can take out the
old one and put in a new... the switch itself has a dozen or so pins
that need to be unsoldered.  Lex sent me a replacement part; I would
imagine that it's a similar unit on the Vortex.

If you're in a bind, you may be able to take the switch apart and clean
out the contacts, and re-bend them if necessary.  Might be quicker than
waiting for a replacement part, although if you're like me, you run the
risk of destroying the switch completely this way.

-henry
throop@colorado.edu