Re: GEAR Question: Roland GR-700

At 04:53 PM 11/14/97 -0600, Mikell D. Nelson wrote:
>Markus Reuter wrote:
>> i just spotted a Roland GR-700 guitar synth (including the
>> guitar) in a turkish second hand store over here in germany.
>>
>> is it worth getting it?
>> what's a reasonable price for a used GR-700 nowadays?
>>
>> thanks for your help!
>
>  I would say buy it only if you are a collector. The new GR30 does so
>much more, sounds much better, tracks MUCH better, and can be had new
>for less than $1000 with the GK2A pickup. I think it includes a
>sequencer, too.

GR30's internal synth is sample playback, right? Since the GR-700 is
analog,
it will likely sound totally different. Whether it's better or not depends
on what you want to do. I usually find sample playback synths to be
completely unsatisfying, especially from a guitar controller. I tend to
prefer the more "interesting" sounds to be found in other types, like
analog. You can get a more unique sound, and the timbral nuances are
typically more controllable. That's my taste, though....  If you want the
guitar to sound similar to a grand piano or a crash cymbal or a tuba or
whatever, than sample playback is the thing.

kim
Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com