Re: AW: Vortex info

Haible Juergen wrote:

>       > Delay time itself is set by tapping in a tempo with a
>footswitch or
>       > front panel button.  Each delay is set to some fraction of
>this tempo.
>       > This makes it easy to get perfect cross-rhythms, such as three
>against two
>       > (or seven against thirteen, or whatever), in time with your
>playing.
>
>Would it be possible to set the delay time by electronic (switch-)
>triggers instead of foot switches?
>Well sure it would work to replace the foot switches, but the question
>is does it work *continously*, for example syncing the delay to
>the clock of an analogue sequencer or arpeggiator? (Or does the
>tap tempo only work in a kind of "learn" mode?)
>What, if the clock rate changes - will the Vortex' delay time follow?
>Faster should be easier than longer, I guess.
>
>Does the Vortex do things like that?
>Are there other Delay boxes that do such things?

The OB Echoplex can sync continuously to the old type of pulse clock from
old sequencers and arpeggiators, using the BeatSync jack. It also works
with other pulses, like drum triggers. You can even use audio sources, like
a metronome output or a mic'd drum or even a guitar. Just has to be some
kind of pulse. The sync operates the same as midi sync for setting loop
times, and keeping them in time. The echoplex can also drive pulse clocks
out the same jack, so you could sync the arpeggiator to the loop.

I don't know of any other delay boxes that can do anything like that. Most
devices use midi clock if they do anything. I'd love to hear about anyone
using the echoplex this way, actually. I know it works, but I haven't seen
it truly being used yet!

kim