Re: looping drums,samplers etc.

If you just want to mess around with this a bit, there are a lot of
websites where you can download breakbeats. You could then put these in a
sampler or an audio sequencer program and loop them. If you got into it
more, you'd probably want to go for a more DIY approach. I've heard a lot
of good things about Recycle, which someone else mentioned. I guess you
could also run those breakbeats (or samples you find) through Recycle and
chop them up into pieces for your own use.

A lot of people seem to use cubase for this stuff, as I understand because
it has the best interface for programming drum parts. I never used it, so I
can't say.

For samplers, the Akai MPC2000 seems to be the choice of the moment for a
lot of producers. (shadow used the older MPC60 for most of his stuff.) They
have a very usable, drum-machine like interface that makes it easy to use
for drum tracks. I've heard good things about some of the new emu samplers
too, which are remarkably cheap these days.

kim