Re: Guitar rig advice wanted

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Kim Flint wrote:

> I'd say, keep using the fender amp for the guitar, disconnect the
>speaker,
> and run the speaker outputs to a THD Hotplate. The THD provides a
> speaker-like load for the amp so it still sounds and works right, and
> outputs a line level signal which you can run to your mixer, which goes
> the looper, and then to the PA. That should keep your guitar sound
> reasonably close to what you have, while still giving you a full PA for
>the
> other stuff.

Kim's solution is better.  Mine is cheaper.  :}  The Marshall Powerbrake
works well, too, as do some other products.  Those are best if you don't
want to hear the original speaker at all, which may well be true for
looping.

> You're on the right track, guitar amps don't really cut it for looping.
>The
> other half of it is when you have a loop running through the guitar amp,
>it
> interferes with any additional guitar and hurts the direct tone.

That's the nice thing about both solutions offered... neither one uses a
guitar effects loop, which usually doesn't sound taht great.  Both can go
straight to stereo power amps, mixers, etc.

You can try my solution along with a big 8 ohm non-inductive resistor for
a speaker load, but it won't sound much like a real speaker.  Speakers are
inductive, capacitative, and generate back EMF which influences the sound
of the amp itself.  :(

-dave

By "beauty," I mean that which seems complete.
Obversely, that the incomplete, or the mutilated, is the ugly.
Venus De Milo.
To a child she is ugly.       /* dstagner@icarus.net */
   -Charles Fort