Re: The ongoing saga of Oberheim

Andre-

Thanks for your comments. You are not anyone's scapegoat for "stopping the
production line" of Echoplexes. I would characterize your particular
situation as more of a catalyst.

You see, the temptation is great on my part to try to resolve as many
problems as quickly as I can. I have been playing guitar for 22 years (I'm
35), I have worked in music stores as a salesman and purchaser, I have
worked at Gibson in sales and marketing of the USA and Custom Shop
divisions. This does not give me any particular expertise in anything, but
I do know what satisfying a customer entails. The level of "service"
provided by Oberheim up until this point is unacceptable to me. I can't
bear to be associated with such blatant mediocrity and I do not wish to
continue the trends of the past.

When I was asked to transfer to this division, I have to believe it was
because I have shown past success and resolving problems and getting things
in order. If Oberheim was indeed guilty of half of what you warned everyone
off of, we would have never met. I would be much too busy duping more
people into buying our completely defective product and letting them rot on
the repair shelf- at least then I could show my boss some new sales income.
You must be aware by now that my focus is elsewhere. It is on you and
everyone like you who may have a problem with their Echoplex. I certainly
have other duties, but I doubt if I have better things to do.

What you may not be aware of is that Oberheim currently consists of two and
a half employees: Keith Paul, Pat Murphy and me. We share Pat's Customer
Service help with our drum division, Slingerland. That's it...there are no
more employees. There is no bureaucracy of MBA'd suits roaming through the
halls of some cavernous office. We are, however, in the process of
recruiting and hiring the necessary manpower to get the product flowing
again.

We are still using the sub-contractors that have been assembling the
Echoplex in the past. We are drafting improvements to make the assembly of
the Echoplex a turkey operation - this means that we place an order for an
Echoplex from one source and get a completed and tested Echoplex in return.
At present, the process is a bit more convoluted. With Kim's valuable
input, we are making the appropriate changes.

The reason I am refining our "fully operational" target date is to avoid
any further temptation on our part to prematurely solve long-standing
problems. We will accept units for upgrades (by "quick fix" I meant a
service that takes little time to perform, not "makeshift repair"), due to
the fact that Kim has trained our borrowed tech on the necessary
procedures.

Explaining why things were so screwed up in the past is really not going to
make you feel better or allow us to move ahead. I will say that we are
intensifying as many cases of customer problems as we can, and given the
shipping totals for the Echoplex, the number of problem units is not
great.

The truth, Andre, is that your e-mails made an impression. An obviously
well-connected, informed, vocal, and dare-I-say influential customer (such
is still my impression of you), is a legitimate candidate for emergency
problem solving measures. Your ability and willingness to clearly point out
our failings makes you an excellent bet to tell the public about our "doing
things right". I wanted to help solve your problem, and if the cost was one
new PCB, I thought it a bargain for the good feelings it could generate
among your fellow loopers. My regret is that we failed to do so. I sought
to counter the negative vibe towards Oberheim and only succeeded in
perpetuating it, as everyone now knows. My point is: Did the fact that we
were attempting to replace rather than repair your unit warrant the tirade
you posted, without first contacting us directly for an explanation? We did
the same replacement option for nine other customers who had waited a long
time and had been equally as vocal about it. Apparently they do not have
Internet accounts.

You asked: "Why is it necessary to hold back on shipping these items
because of ONE REPAIR JOB on another unit?!"

Let me be very clear:

WE ARE NOT WITHHOLDING SHIPPING OF ECHOPLEX PRODUCTS DUE TO ANDRE'S
MESSAGE.
WE DO NOT HAVE ANY FINISHED ECHOPLEX PRODUCTS READY TO SHIP AT THIS TIME.

What we will no longer do is prematurely attempt to solve customer
problems, no matter how long they have waited, no matter how many e-mails
and voice-mails we receive, no matter what. We can ill-afford to be blasted
for doing anything of the kind again. We have learned our lesson, as Randy
Jones put it, "with our heads in the public stocks". We won't make that
mistake in the future. There definitely should be no guilt or blame
associated with this decision on your part, in effect you have truly done
everyone a service, which was your stated intention.

As evidenced by early comments made by you that were later amended in Pt.
2, amended further in Pt. 3, and tempered even more in your latest
message,and comments made by me in my initial response, perhaps it would be
best to contact each other directly before the passion we both share clouds
the professional reputations of Andre, Tom and Oberheim.

Thanks to all who have commented on this thread so far - your input is
vital and appreciated.

Peace,

Tom Spaulding